Trauma is defined as the direct or indirect exposure to an adverse event that leaves lasting and uncontrollable effects.
While humans and their brains are incredibly resilient and strong, trauma can have a long-lasting impact on people. Our Director, Jodie Brenton and head psychologist, Mary Magalotti believe that all Australians should have the ability to access trauma counselling. The Life Resolutions team of psychologists are experienced in trauma management and counselling.
Both physical and psychological life events can result in the development of a trauma response. A trauma response can be caused by any number of situations and experiences, but some more common examples of such events include:
- Death of a loved one.
- Accidents that result in physical pain and injury.
- The breakdown of a relationship.
- Experiencing a natural disaster.
- Experiencing domestic violence.
- Experiencing sexual assault or rape.
- Exposure to war – as a citizen or a participant.
Common Symptoms of Trauma
While all individuals experience trauma differently, there is a range of reoccurring symptoms to look out for. These include but are not limited to;
- Disorientation – usually in the first 24 hours following a traumatic event.
- Inability to communicate effectively or respond to questions correctly.
- Denial of the occurrence of a traumatic event.
- Changes in sleeping patterns and nightmares of the traumatic experience.
- Developing an irrational and indefinable fear relating to the traumatic event.
However, people may experience a delayed onset of trauma. Jodie Brenton encourages you to seek professional help if you suffer a traumatic event or experience can symptoms. Mary Magalotti and our team of psychologists aim to provide high-quality support to those who have experienced trauma.
If you or someone you know is struggling as a result of a traumatic experience, contact our team today. To book an appointment at Life Resolutions, contact our friendly team today or head to our website for more information on the services offered at Life Resolutions.